Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I am now online!

Sorry for such a delay in updates, but that will now change as I have my own laptop and internet access.

Not really too much to update on, but here is a few things.

I went out on an Orca class ship yesterday for the day. The purpose was 2 officers were being evaluated as OIC (Officer in Charge) which is like being the Captain of the ship. We didn't go too far, just from Esquimalt harbour around to Victoria harbour and back. During the trip, we did man overboard drills, fire drills and acted as deck hands. The weather was quite windy, so the boat got rocked around a bit (loved it!). I really enjoyed the day and look forward to doing more of it. I was even showed how to drive the ship. I didn't actually do it this time, but will get my chance soon.

I have been able to get back into the squash courts a couple of times and plan on making it a much more regular thing as I really enjoy played it.

Our weather here has been rainy for the past two weeks and tonight we are experiencing a bad wind storm, but it still beats shoveling snow.

I will also be doing my first duty at Venture this Friday. From what I have seen so far it mainly includes Colours and Sunset (that is the raising of the Canadian flag in the morning and lowering it in the evening). The other main part of my duty involved security checks of the surrounding buildings. I will have to do a round of checks at 0200 hours, so I guess my sleep will be quite interrupted. I am not allowed to sleep in my regular room that night. I have to sleep in one of the pre-assigned duty cabins, so I will be without internet that night, but will be back on Saturday.

I am getting to know more people here and make some friends which has been a real bonus and enjoyable as they even invite me out for drinks and stuff.

At this point I am still unable to load any pictures. Sorry. I will ensure that when I am home for Christmas that I bring back the cable for my camera so that I can do that.

Although I miss my family; I have been very fortunate to be able to talk to them almost every day. Love you guys!!

I hope that everyone has themselves a great day full of positiveness and things that make them smile.

2 comments:

  1. Great news about being on line and your course. What are the plans for Christmas?? Enjoy squash as it was my second favourite sport next to skiing. Have a great w/e and enjoy your duty....LOL
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete