Saturday, October 31, 2009

Update Number 2

OK, so I have been given access by one of the guys living in the same building as me. Here is update number 2.

I have been assigned to a group called NTS (Naval Tender Section). They are made up primarily of guys like me awaiting training. We take care of the Orca class ships. They are a small ship used mainly for training the MARS officers as well as by some of the Naval Reserves. There are 8 ships in total. Two of them have been fitted with guns on the front for patrolling during the Olympics.
We don't really do much during the day as it is slow. We clean them inside and make sure they are properly stocked with what they need from plates and utensils to charts and flags. That usually takes about 20 minutes and then we sit around the rest of the day. I am not going to complain about that. I am still getting paid and it beats being trapped on the phone in a call center; so all is good.

Speaking of the Olympics; the torch went through Esquimalt yesterday and we were encouraged to go watch and show our support. The CDS (Chief of Defence Staff - highest General in the military) was the torch runner for here. I wound up right in front of the podium where he was speaking before the flame arrived. He was a very friendly guy and walked among the crowd and let us touch the unlit torch. I thought that was something that I certainly would never have an opportunity to do again. There are some pictures, but they are not available at this time.

The weather has been rainy more often than not, but that is much better than snow. I still love being in Victoria.

I do really miss my family, but have been able to talk to them almost every day and that really helps.

I am thinking that I might be able to give more frequent updates now that I have someone here in the building willing to let me use his laptop in his room.

Until next time.....

Have a happy day everyone!

:)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you have some access!! Great to hear your update!!
    We miss you too, but won't get all mushy here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have an update! Give us a call :-) We look forward to hearing/seeing you soon :-)

    ReplyDelete